{Collins} Re: R-390A Questions

At 09:32 PM 12/29/2000 -0500, Jim Miller wrote:

>I'm the proud owner of a SW R390A.  But it's going to be a long winter with
>this one.  Help needed!   First, when I plug it in, it trips the ground fault
>interrupter in the garage, indicating some leakage from AC lines to
ground.  I
>suspect the AC input line filter.  Any replacements available?

For the NINTIETH time:

The line filter capacitors are not leaking.
The filiter has not failed.
The filter is doing exactly what it is supposed to.
Do not replace it. Do not take it apart. Do not look for a replacement.

You have a number of choices:

1) Run your radio on an isolation transformer.
2) Run your radio on a SOLA constant voltage transformer.
3) Run your radio on a circuit that has no ground fault interruptor.
4) Replace the line filter with an IEC connector, even one that has RFI
filtering in it.

  So I
>disconnect the ground (don't ask) and fire her up anyway.  Lamps come on,
>filaments come on, the carrier level meter looks like it wants to do
something
>and the 3A main fuse blows.  Using a variac, I then crank it up slowly and at
>about 85 VAC input, the 26Z5 rectifiers spark and flash and the fuse blows
>again.  I remove the rectifier tubes and crank it all the way to 115VAC
with no
>problem.  I am getting 570 VAC from the power transformer secondary.  I
put the
>rectifiers bacn in and I disconnect the AF module connectors to isolate the
>rectifiers from the chokes and filter caps, and by themselves they still
flash
>and the fuse blows.  The seller claimed the radio worked before shipment,
Are
>these rectifier tubes problematic or damaged by shipping vibration?  Where
can
>replacements be found?
>
>As soon as I get past this I'm sure there will be more.  Thanks.
>
>Jim N4BE

>Nets: Tues: 3.805 Mc-2000 Central / Thur: 3.875 Mc-2000 Central
>Fri: 3.895 Mc-2000 Pacific / Sun: 14.263 Mc-2000 UTC

Roy

Roy Morgan
Keep em glowing!  K1LKY since 1959
7130 Panorama Drive, Derwood MD 20855