{Collins} Re: Collins 62S-1 VHF Transceiver

Until recently, receive and transmitter converters (combined units are
called transverters) were the preferred method of generating a VHF/UHF
signal.  The theory is, that if you have a good receive/transmit radio, why
duplicate it for VHF, just add a mixer and amplifier.

 The HV for the 4X150A final in the 62S-1 is "borrowed" from the 516F-2
power supply,  otherwise the 62S-1 is a self contained unit.
 The 62S-1 fully integrates with the S-line/KWM radio set up (read lots of
cables).  When properly configured it takes a low level 14.0 to 14.200Mhz.
signal from the S-line and produces about 100W output on 6 or 2M, SSB/CW.
The opposite for receive.
The main "tuning knob" is a crystal selector switch.  Like the rest of the
S-line it works in 200khz. segments.
It is pretty broad banded, Once you tune up on a particular VHF segment the
rest of the control is from the S-line.
There is one switch from HF to VHF, it is very convenient to use.
Not many units were made, it is rare to find one in good working condition.

Jim