{Collins} Re: Preselector slipping on 75S-1

Thanks to All for the numerous responses and good advice!

Late last night, prior to receiving all of this great information, I took a
good look at the rear bearing. I have a set of Bristol spline keys so I
removed the locking nut and bearing adjuster.  I noticed the ball bearing
embedded in dried grease so I removed it with a magnet, cleaned everything,
relubed it with white lithium grease, and reassembled. I also added a dab to
the vertical slides. I was careful not to disturb those flimsy metal foil
bands. After adjustment the preselector now works smoothly and reliable
through its entire range.

Thanks to those who warned about disassembling the tuning rack. I work on
Drake gear so I know better than to disassemble a tuning rack! I also know
not to use grease on plastic parts, especially the dials and gears. DeoxIT
has been used only on the switch contacts, not on the wafers (they soak up
the fluid and expand). A variac and light bulb fixture is used to power up
all rigs brought into my shop. I know about loosening/retightening chassis
screws to eliminate a number of problems.

The PTO is next. It isn't as smooth as it should be.

Thanks,

Ken, WA2LBI