{Collins} Re: Newbie KWM-2 - Thanks, More Questions

Chris,

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your kwm-2.  To clarify my s-meter
problem, the s-meter would pit itself clear to the left but the signal would
sound normal.  This would happen after the rig was warmed up.  I replace CR1
and the two capacitor in the bias supply.  This helped for quite a while but
the problem re-appeared months later and I then suspected the low voltage in
general was fluctuating, so I replaced the low voltage rectifier tube 5Y4.
Since that time it has been fine.  Good luck on your project.

John WA9ZBW

>From: "Christian von Wechmar" <christian@xxxxxxxxx> >Reply-To:
christian@xxxxxxxxx >To: <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> >Subject: {Collins} Newbie
KWM-2 - Thanks,  More Questions >Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 21:10:39 +0200 >>Dear
Collins Dudes (and Girls?), >>Thank you very much for all the on-list and
off-list replies, and great >advice. >>I have taken a *great* liking in my
KWM-2. >>I had a few QSO's with it in the past week, one being a 2 hour rag
chew. At >the end of the 'chew, the receiver suddenly became noisy, and the
s-meter >needle dropped to zero. This was while receiving my buddy at 59
+20dB. >Turning the rig off, and on again, "cured" the problem for a short
while. >>Looking in the Collins list, I saw a post about the same problem
where John >WA9ZBW replaced (amongst other things) CR1. I replaced CR1 with
a1N4004, >and found that CR1 measured 3.58 MOhm one way, 10.5 MOhm the
other.>>After the surgery, the no-signal PA plate current measured 20mA. I
ajusted >the bias pot in the 516F-2 to 40mA (where it was before replacing
CR1), >where upon the receiver started to hiss. I turned off the rig, and
wonder if >this points to a PSU capacitor problem. I plan the replace the
caps anyway, >when I find suitable non-asian ones. I note that SSoN stocks
them, but I >hope to get some cheaper locally. >>Any ideas? >>Also, a friend
commented that my audio lacks the "s'es", even though it is >not too bassey.
I was using my Shure 450, and wonder if poor caps can >influence the audio.
>>I hope to be on the air soon again, as I get a HUGE kick out of ye olde
>Collins. >>73, Chris ZS1DX >>>>>Sponsored by the Collins Collectors
Association http://www.collinsradio.org >Nets: Tues: 3.805 Mc-2000 Central /
Thur: 3.875 Mc-2000 Central >Fri: 3.895 Mc-2000 Pacific / Sun: 14.263
Mc-2000UTC >1st Wed (of the month) AM Net 3.880 Mc-2000 local (ET, CT, MT,
PT) >Sun AM Net: 29.050 Mc-1200 Central >