{Collins} Re: 30S-1 230V wiring

J.A.,
A 230V three wire connection consists of Phase 1, Phase 2, and Neutral.
Phase 1 and Phase 2 are 230V apart, 180 degrees out of phase with each
other, and balanced with respect to Neutral.  A four wire connection
adds an independent ground.  Neutral and ground, while normally at the
same potential, are supposed to be connected inside your house only at
the main switch (circuit breaker panel, fuse ) panel.

In the event of unbalanced loads on the two phases, or short circuits
inside the electrical connections of the appliance, the resulting
currents in the neutral wire can force the appliance end of neutral wire
considerably off ground potential.  The added ground wire is there to
provide a true ground potential connection for the appliance container
or cabinet to protect the user from shock under these conditions.

Bob
WB4TGG