{Collins} Re: 30S-1 230V wiring

I wrote this prior to seeing the message from Bob, WB4TGG, and he covered
much of the 30S-1 230 volt thing, but since I have already written this, I
will send it anyway.

A clothes dryer is a 230 volt device.  It does not use 115 volts, and the
three wires consist of two wires that supply 230 volts and a non-current
carrying ground wire for a safety ground.

The 30S-1 uses 230 volts for the plate transformer and 115 volts for
filament transformers, bias transformers, blower motors, time delay relays,
etc.  Therefore it must have a current carrying neutral to supply the 115
volts.

To meet the current National Electrical Code, the 30S-1 must NOT have the
neutral conductor connected to the chassis. (I do not have a 30S-1, but I do
have a schematic of unknown date, and the neutral is not shown as being
connected to the chassis.)   The ground wire (the green wire) is connected
to the chassis/cabinet, and it must be a separate conductor all the way back
to the ground buss in the breaker panel.  And, the 30S-1 must have a four
prong plug to meet the current code.  (It MIGHT meet some provision of the
code if it has a separate ground wire from the "ground" connection on the
amplifier to a "real" ground, and this is obviously what The Collins Radio
Company intended, but I would prefer the four prong plug with green wire
back to the panel.)  The power cord meeting the current code will have four
wires - two wires carrying 230 volts, usually black and red; a white neutral
and a green ground wire.

I might not have read all of this thread, and I apologize if I am repeating
someone before me, but I believe the National Electrical Code was changed
between the time the first and last 30S-1 was manufactured.  If the
amplifier was manufactured prior to the code change, it is probably
"grandfathered" in, but that won't help you if you get electrocuted with it,
which is not very likely, but the Code was changed to require a separate
ground for a good reason.  If you don't understand it, get competent help.

I do not consider myself competent on the Code, and I solicit a critique of
the above from anyone who disagrees with anything I have said.

William
W4BZ