{Collins} Re: 30S-1 230V wiring

William highlights the need (use) for the neutral conductor in the
30S-1.  In addition, the neutral is needed to power the 516F-2 power supply
should it be installed within the power supply cabinet. The neutral is a
current carrying conductor needed to complete the 115 (120) volt circuit
powering the lower voltage components associated with the 30S-1.  The
neutral, although considered a grounded conductor, must only be grounded at
the entrance panel under today's National Electric Code.  The (green wire)
ground conductor that is is grounded at the entrance panel through the
building wiring represents safety ground that is available for fault
current should something go awry within the device being powered and should
be connected to the equipment chassis.  The safety ground is the green wire
in the 4-wire cord and typically a bare wire in residential building wiring.

A 4-wire plug/receptacle combination is the best way to ensure convenient
and correct application of the neutral and safety ground.  In addition to
safety ground, it is also desirable to ensure a good RF ground.  To be
effective, this ground is applied directly to the cabinet grounding terminal.

Another amplifier with the same 230 volt power issues as the 30S-1 is the
National NCL-2000.  The NCL-2000 was originally furnished with a 3-wire
cord.  Since this amplifier uses 120-volt components, it too must be
provided the neutral conductor.  Hence, the 4-wire cord, plug/receptacle is
recommended here as well.

Jerry Kessler
N4JL