{Collins} Re: R390a connectors

At 07:18 PM 7/8/2004 -0400, W2QFN@xxxxxxx wrote:
>Does anyone know the designation of the type of RF connector used internally
>in the R390a?

Mini-BNC, or "MB" (the "Non-A" version uses normal BNC connectors)

Available at RF Connections, as is the coax needed.
www.therfc.com
One fellow on the R-390 list recently offered connectors or cables for sale.
If you have an R-39x of any sort you should be getting the R-390 list:

(The archives have many many posts about both the connectors and the coax,
and the twinax antenna connector situation, including sources and part
numbers.)

AND, you should study "Chuck Rippel's site":
<http://www.r390a.com/>

and the R-390 Frequently Asked Questions page at:
<http://www.r-390a.net/>

Also see the reverences link:
<http://www.r-390a.net/faq-refs.htm>

You should download the free, updated, corrected and nearly indespensible
"R-390A Y2K-Release 2" from the above site.
<http://www.r-390a.net/Y2K-R2/Chap-0-rev8.pdf>
(If you have a slow Internet connection, let me know.)

THEN, get all the other documents there.

>Also what is the general way of handling the balanced antenna
>input?

As to the twinax balanced antenna connector,

1) see Chuck's site for an easy workaround,
<http://www.r390a.com/html/feedpoint.html>

2) buy the right connector for cheap at any one of many many suppliers and
make up a cable for yourself, or

3) search endlessly for the UG-970 adapter (twinax to SO-239) that now
costs $35 or more new IF you can ever find one, OR;

4) carry out the field change (I think it is No. 6) that puts one of the
balanced input connections on the UNbalanced connector and use an easier to
find adapter on that (it's a Type C).

Roy
(R-3xx spoken here.)

- Roy Morgan, K1LKY since 1959 - Keep 'em Glowing!
7130 Panorama Drive, Derwood MD 20855
Home: 301-330-8828 Work: Voice: 301-975-3254,  Fax: 301-948-6213
roy.morgan@xxxxxxxx --