{Collins} Re: Xtal Calculator

Jerry,

Actually there isn't much to the modification - just install the coax
between the grid of V3B (pin 2) and the spare RCA jack on the 75S-3B rear
panel, and disconnect C78. I just disconnected the hot end of C78 so it
could easily be reconnected if the modification were removed. I used some
old teflon dielectric coax that I had that is about 3/16" O.D., but any
small 50 Ohm RF coax should work fine. I dressed the coax along the
bandswitch shields. One thing to consider is the length of the cable from
the signal generator to the receiver. Since this mod results in an
open-circuit transmission line connected to the generator, the cable should
not be longer than about 1/8 wavelength at the highest crystal/generator
frequency. If it were 1/4 wavelength long, for example, you would present a
short to the generator, and you don't want that. So keep this in mind and
use as short a cable as possible.

Check to see if your signal generator output is AC coupled or has a DC path
to ground. Although the DC voltage at the grid of V3B drops to about zero
when the oscillator is disabled, I would recommend AC coupling to your
generator if it is not already AC coupled. A .01uF capacitor in series with
the generator should work fine. You can add this to the internal mod in the
receiver if you like.

The handy thing about the mod is that the crystal oscillator is
automatically disabled when you plug the signal generator into the 75S-3B
rear panel connector. I did some checking and found that loading the V3B
grid with a resistance of about 500 Ohms or lower would kill the crystal
oscillations, which must be done if the substituted signal generator is to
function properly. Since a connected 50 Ohm signal generator results in a 50
Ohm load to the V3B grid, this works fine to disable the crystal oscillator.
Keep this in mind if your generator has, for some reason, a high source
impedance.

Here are some thoughts about the injection levels. Before installing the
mod, I measured the existing oscillator levels at the grid of V3B and found
them to vary from perhaps 8vpk-pk to a bit over 20vpk-pk, depending on the
band. I was concerned that with my signal generator level, too much gain
would be lost if I didn't have enough injection level. My generator will put
out +17dBm into 50 Ohms, which winds up being about 9v pk-pk into a high
impedance. When I later compared receiver gain after installing the mod, I
found the gain with the modification to be about 3dB lower on the upper
bands (20m-10m), and perhaps 1dB higher on the two lower bands. Sensitivity
was not impacted. Also, since I operate my 75S-3B and 32S-3 in transceive
mode, I wanted to see if the 32S-3 power was impacted. The difference was
insignificant. On 15m, for example, I only had to increase the Mic.Gain by
about 1/2 an increment to achieve the same operating condition I have when
using the crystal oscillator.

That's about all I can think of. As mods go, this one is pretty darn simple.

Don
W5QN