{Collins} KWM-2 Popping Noise

Hi All
My KWM -2 is exhibiting a popping noise problem that I found in the the
archives:

"The popping was occurring when:
1) the RF Gain was set to S-8 when only background noise was present
2) then I tuned to a relative strong signal (about an S-10)
3) the popping seemed to occur on signal peaks
4) the popping goes away when the RF Gain was reduced - to the point
where the S-Meter will not register a signal below S-10
5) the AF Gain had some attenuation effect, but even when fully
counterclockwise the popping could still be heard

In the past few days, the popping has become excessively loud.
1) the popping will go away when the RF Gain was reduced - to the point
where the S-Meter will not register a signal below S-20
2) The popping still occurs on signal peaks
3) the popping can be heard across the room even with the AF Gain turned
all the way down (although it still attenuates the popping)"

Finally something now seemed to have failed as the RF Gain control no longer
functions (only max rf gain) and the popping is still there.  There is
plenty of AF gain.

Any ideas on this or how it was solved? ( I have replaced the 100mfd @6v
when I recently replaced the electrolytics in the rig)

Thanks and Vy 73

Dom, N3DD