{Collins} Re: 75A2

Gary,
The 6BE6 and 6BA7 are both pentagrid converter tubes (heptodes).  The
6BE6 has a 7-pin base and the 6BA7 has a 9-pin base.  I believe the 6BA7
is a newer design.  I don't have any first hand information about the
75A-2, but my guess is that the 6BA7 was a later model change in the
75A-2.  The 75A-4 receiver used 6BA7 mixer tubes from the outset.

If you think you want to modify your receiver to a newer design, I would
have a look at some of the mods published for the 75A-4, rather than
changing to the 6BA7.  Pentagrid converters are rather noisy mixer tubes
and there are better alternatives out there that provide lower noise
figure and better dynamic range.  I would recommend the mixer designs
described by N0DMS in the Electric Radio Modification Compendium for the
75A-4.

Bob
WB4TGG