{Collins} Re: radiomart

 hi all on the server,
Yes, I to just couldn't resist responding to this subject. I to have had a
few dealing with the (Radiomart) on E-Bay. I remember when he first started
listing things on E-Bay. I do a lot of collecting and restoring of old short-wave
rigs i.e.: Hallicrafters, National, Hammerlund so I do some buying and selling
on there. He started with those type of rigs and was so proud of his (work)
on them. and it seemed that every rig he sold on there was "from his own
personal collection" I stayed away from this shyster for a long time. Well, one day
he had listed a Collins Wing emblem for the S-Line and I needed one to replace
one on a rig I have here that was just ever so slightly pitted so I thought
what the heck and bid on it, well I won it and when it got here the "Perfect
Condition" emblem was worse shape than the one I wanted to replace, it looked
nothing like the picture that he presented. I asked him about it and all I got
was no responce, so now i just use it for a hat pin. Some time later and
probably not learning my lesson I needed a cabinet for my 516F-2 and low and behold
there was Radiomart listing "The most pristine cabinet he had ever seen"
Well, being dumb like me I took another chance on him and he didn't let me
down.
The cabinet I got was NOT the one he had pictured on the auction. It was so
dirty you couldn't even tell was color it was, it stunk so bad of cigarette
smoke that I could'nt be to close to it, it was sickening. Lucky for me it was
just the cabinet, I totally dismantled it and soaked it in warm water with some
mild dish soap and it came clean as new, it had a little slow bend in the
lower housing itself but was a very slow bend so just a little pull here and there
and it was straight. there were NO feet on it at all (which the one in the
picture had) after putting it back together and buying some feet and front
extenders it looked very good and was very serviceable so i guess i dodged the
bullet on that one a little and it's in my lineup now, but yes I have to agree,
stay away from this guy, he's been doing this long enough now that he is into
buying estates and that's where all the Collins stuff is coming from, most of
the time he has no clue what he has or what is, he's just a guy that's looking
to make a fast buck on this stuff and most of the time it's the buyer that
takes it in the shorts. One tell tale sign to look for on any of these guys is
that Everything they sell is "EXCELLENT" or "PERFECT" . Another thing to look for
is that if they list a bunch of stuff look at all the auctions with the same
type of gear listed, you'll see that they use the same picture and the same
wording in their descriptions, this is a big sign that the guy is a crook. E-Bay
can be fun and you can find a lot of great stuff on there but like everyone
says (BUYER BEWARE)

Thanks for the soap box guys.

N9FDE
Bill