{Collins} Re: radiomart

Over the last 40 years in ham radio my current interest has shifted to
restoring the vintage Drake and Collins equipment.   I do a fair amount of
buying and selling on eBay to prose my interest and to generate a small
extra income as I near retirement.    I have been watching closely
'radio-mart' for the last several months and I've bought a few pieces from
him.  When I sell I provide lots of pictures, so I've learned that picture
file size and angles can either show or hide areas from the viewer.
"radio-mart' used smaller low resolution pictures which made it hard to see
the true condition of the piece, and only showed the angles that minimized
showing the not so good parts of the radio.   Outside of this list there
have been many other e-mail trails about 'radio-mart' all of which basically
say the same as those on this listserver.   Around the first of the year I
saw this "gottahavit1995" buying up a lot of Collins and Drake equipment.
I counted over 250 transactions over 6 months.   This came to my attention
because he started to out  bid me on a regular basis.    Then I notices some
of the equipment purchases under 'gottshaveit' was reappearing on eBay as
for sale items under 'radio-mart'   Under 'radio-mart' he stated it was
bringing quality items from his personal collection, estate sales, etc.
The week 'radio-mart' disappeared from the eBay listing he had several items
listed, a couple of which I was watching.     The following week the same
items appeared but this time under 'gottahaveit1995'.   I few days later
'gottahaveit1995' also disappeared.

>From what I can tell he did very little with the piece between the time he
purchased it to reselling.   According to reports on other listservers I
watch, it was reported he would over-spray the cast tops to hide the dirt,
smoke and bad areas.    One report I recall indicated he used house paint
and a brush to repaint the case.   Of course all this is hard to detect from
the low resolution pictures he used.   There has been a lot of e-mail about
this guy, I'm surprised he did not have more negative feedback than he did.

I'm assuming since he is gone that eBay finally took action.   For those who
may be leery about eBay, there are a lot of good sellers that represent
their equipment honestly and give there customers very good service.  But
like all things there are a few that give it a bad name.

73, Ron / WB4HFN