{Collins} Re: Radio Mart

The radiomart person is indeed a Brit, he used to run a Ham
radio store in the UK. There were several stories doing the rounds
at the time as to why the business closed.

I bought several items of vintage gear from him, and I recall with
some degree of hilarity his story about having a warehouse full of
Eddystone receivers which he claimed were constantly being cycled
on and off to keep the components in spec!

I did buy some good gear from him, but of course it was all
eyeballed by me at the shop and so I could see what I was getting.

He imported Collins and Drake gear from the US and was the only
dealer in the UK to do this. The prices were high, for example a
75S3 for nearly $1000.

I recall buying one Collins Rx from him which had a sticky S meter
pointer. He took the meter out there and then, removed some
remnants of an old bulb and refitted the meter. All done with skill
and not a word of complaint.

He was always a talker and you would expect his eBay ads to benefit
from this natural tendency.

Just proves the old adage..... buyer beware,

Kevin G8LYV