{Collins} Fwd: Re: KWM-2A problems and tubelore question

Forwarded to list as requested.
Note: forwarded message attached.

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:52:11 -0400
From: Stu Martin <k2qde@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: {Collins} KWM-2A problems and tubelore question
To: bob@xxxxxxxxxx

--Boundary_(ID_ryC8rw6jBzGk3U42+RMiOA)

Rob,
Sorry to hear an old AF Tech is having a problem on one of its FRC-93s. You
certainly have the experience and knowledge to handle any Collins repair
task. I hope my "parts chassis" can assist in locating any components you
need.

Anyway, your KWM-2 oscillation sounds like the classic case of a bad ground
contact under the four compartment shields, or it could be the final amp
feedthrough cap, C123. Attached is a compiled list I've saved through the
years. Best practice is to take a copy of the schematic and note each item
listed on schematic. Yes, that's quite a chore, but well worth the effort.
You be glad you did later. It help me find 28 problems in my two radios
during the last 4 years. Z5, by the way is a "no-touch" item. It's factory
set from the vendor. I may actually have that [adjustment] somewhere but not
sure. Can't look right now but I will later. One other note: Look into the
final-Amp compartment with the cover off. Do you see a white, ceramic
variable cap looking up at you? It would be identical to the caps under the
slug-rack. If not, you may see the plates of a metal air-variable cap facing
downward. If your unit has the white ceramic cap, be sure the two Final
tubes are marked 6146A's. If you have the metal air cap, then you can use
6146B's. Both must be the same. No mixing! [fyi: Collins never spec'd or
used a "matched set." Production did stick with the same
manufacture/date-codes, though. RCA, Sylvania, a few GE].

The screen voltage removal is necessary during the 455-KC IF alignment so
you don't activate the transmitter. Remove the HV tube in the supply as
well! One can't make that adjustment correctly due to the load on the supply
and RF circuit. Follow the manual! These adjustments are quite broad and the
least loading effect allows a more exact setting. I assume you've confirmed
the need to make the adjustment to begin with.

Tube glow (blue) is common in these units (6U8A's, etc). Doesn't mean
they're gassy. Some say, "...if you find a 6AZ8 in a Collins radio, it's
bad...! In this case, just swap tubes around and you'll quickly find the bad
one. Tube testers are worthless with these radios. Always go with another.
Plenty available [eBay].

Lastly, you will need the production date in order to determine the correct
part values/changes and schematic/manual revisions. Collins manuals were
updated every two years to reflect design changes. Dates stamped between the
crystal pins are unreliable as they can be swapped. One trick: Note the
electrolytic "can" behind the meter. Find a dental mirror, or any small
mirror and flashlight, and search for the date-code stamped on that can. Now
check the solder leads no the terminals. Do they look like they were
re-soldered? No one, not even I, can re-solder a lead like the Collins
production staff! If the leads look factory, then the cap is original and
you can trust the date-code. If the cap was replaced, all bets are off, but
there are other ways (components values). For example, the 4, 1N34A balance
mod diodes were changed to a single quad-pack in '64. Does you unit feature
a soldered-in mechanical filter, or a rectanglular plug-in type? Lastly,
NOTE any and all "re-soldered" connections. Although they may be
illegitimate component replacements, they could be out of spec items or more
so, illegal mods.

Basic tube-type troubleshooting is what's next. Swapping in tubes is cool,
so long as you return the original if no change is noted [No realignment
necessary when swapping any tube in a KWM-2/2A Only exception may be the
neutralization of the 6146's if different brands are used]. Once you have a
stable unit, I'll scan you a copy of the production test and alignment
sheets. They're far better than the manual. As you progress, let me know if
you have any questions regarding rev levels or service bulletins. I was
employed by the Collins Data Processing Division in '72 and was involved
with the Collins C-Systems field support group.

Good luck,
Stu Martin, k2qde
x-NAVSECGRU 3-6