{Collins} 516F2 Problems

Hello All

Thought I would mention a problem I had yesterday. After putting the 516F
back in its cabinet, I found the KWM2 dead, on both receive and transmit.
Found four valves that did not appear to have their heaters on, both 6AZ8's
and two 6U8's ( V1, 3, 13 and 17 )  while all the other valves glowed
normally.

Solution was one of the earth connections on the power supply cable. Collins
soldered the braid at the chassis end of the cable, to a rather thin solid
wire which then goes to the ground point on a terminal strip. If the strain
relief clamp is not tight, and allows the cable to flex a bit, the
connection at the braid of the cable breaks easily, and allows the earth
connection to open. Specifically, it is pin 3 of the cable which is open,
rather than earthed.

Hope this helps someone find and solve their problems quickly.

Cheers;

Rob

ZL1RD