{Collins} Re: Collins 32S-1 or 32S-1

Hi Ed,
    I think the subject line says it all in your case.  They are both
great transmitters as you know however the main improvement in the 32S-3
was in the CW area.  The 32S-1 uses an audio oscillator injected into
the audio string to generate CW and resulted in some problems with
birdies or unwanted images being transmitted under certain conditions.
It was also fun to try and get on the other guy's frequency.  The 32S-3
generates CW by bypassing the balance modulator and generating a true CW
signal.  That little knob you see added above the mic gain control is a
CW netting level control with a push button in the middle to aid in zero
beating the incoming signal.
    Bottom line is that none of this means anything to you if you are
not interested in CW.  In fact, "it has been said" by many that for
transmitted SSB audio quality, the 32S-1 is the pick of the litter.  I
know I love mine and will keep it for the duration.  As they say, "you
mileage may vary".  Hope this helps a little.

        73
Tony - W9JXN