{Collins} Re: Restoring a 32V-3

Andy,

Here're a couple of tips that may be of use:

First, it's possible to dissassemble the modulator completely, right
down to the sheet metal, by merely unsoldering a couple of connections.
You end up with all of the 'guts' of the modulator--tube sockets, capacitors,
resistors, wire--strung out like the intestines of an alien being.  I
had to do this to mine because it had been dropped, and I had to replace
the chassis itself.  It turned out to be quite easy, once I saw the light.. :)

Second, many of the tx's suffer from failed paper capacitors in the multiplier/
driver RF chassis.  These things look like large postage-stamp micas, but are
in fact failure prone paper caps.  Getting them out, as you'll see, appears to
be nearly impossible.  In fact, a lot of owners just leave them in there,
clip the leads, and solder in modern film caps as replacements.  I find that
a very unsatisfactory kind of repair, but tastes differ, of course..  But,
here's the thing:  it is actually quite feasible to remove the band switch from
this unit.  There are just a few wires that connect the switch to the 'guts',
and you can readily unsolder them, then unbolt the switch segments and remove
them.  Once they're out to the way, it should be a heck of a lot easier to
dig down to those infamous paper caps, remove them, and replace them *all*
with moderns film caps.  No need to go there if the caps are ok, as they were
in my tx..

Since my tx had been dropped, the heavy power supply components had bent a
bunch of the flimsy aluminum supports, so my transmitter had to come almost
completely apart.  It was a length job, and a bit tedious, but a lot more
do-able than it seems at first!  Thanks heavens my elmer, Nick (KD4CPL) had
a junker from which to obtain transplant parts.

One suggestion I wish someone had made to me:  make a fixture to do the
end-point adjustment on your PTO, while it's out!  You'll be a lot happier
with a well-calibrated PTO..

Be *VERY* careful with the dial assembly, with all of its tiny
contacts and lamps.  If you break off one of those contacts, it'll be the
devil to fix.  Also, be extremely careful cleaning the dial.  The lettering
will not take kindly to scrubbing or to any of the common solvents/cleaners.

Finally, since you're going to dissassemble your tx anyhow, you should consider
disconnecting the rectifier filament connections from all 3 rectifier tubes,
and replace them with sold-state rectifiers.  Those "copper-top" units are
quite nice, since they closely match the electrical performance of tubes.
Disconnecting the filament transformers gets HV off the filament windings.
The transformers in the 32V are problematic, so reducing the strain on them
is a good idea.  Otherwise, you may have to make an expensive phone call to
Peter Dahl company..

Good luck with it.  I've really enjoyed my 32V-2 since I brought it back
to life!

73, John K4OZY