{Collins} R-388 problem...

I apoligize if I'm wasting bandwidth here, but I don't think that my
original post made it to the list.

I'd be grateful if someone could give me an idea of what might be wrong with
my R-388 receiver. It's a very clean receiver and has always been a good
performer. Recently, however, the gain dropped off by about 70% on the first
tuning range (500 to 1500kc). Signals from local BC stations that were
half-scale or better on the S-meter are now barely audiable.

When this first happened, I rotated the band change control up to the higher
ranges and back again, and the radio again received normally (for awhile) on
the first tuning range. Now, however, that trick no longer seems to work.

All of the other bands (tuning ranges) are working fine.

I deeply apoligize if my previous post had indeed made it to the list, and
someone has already taken the time to post advice. I'm just starting to
learn the "ins and outs" of the internet, and I just realized today that MSN
was dumping the "collins" mail in a junkbox without my knowledge.

Thanks to all for your patience.

Rich   KB2DMD