{Collins} Re: Packing for a 51j-4

Bill,

The biggest issue is the weight.  Once that much mass starts moving, it won't
stop easily.  You need a lot of padding to absorbe the shock load created by
that much mass.  The padding must not crush or it allows it to move more and
more each time and the shock loads rise dramatically.  My recommendation having
shipped at least a doxzen of these is as follows:

1.  Double boxing is a must.

2.  The receiver must be protected inside the inner box by a minimum of 1" of
sheet styrofoam, not peanuts of any kind.  Cardboard is very abrasive and the
slight rubbing from normal transport will take paint right off if it is against
cardboard.

3.  At least two inches of sheet styrofoam between the inner and outer boxes on
all sides.  That may seem alot, but a heavy receiver dropped on its corner is
like driving a wedge through the foam, and it will go a long way in, believe
me.

4.  Use FedEx Ground.  They seem to handle heavy items much better than UPS.
I've been told that UPS has transfer conveyors that drop the packages several
feet from one conveyor to the next.  Whatever the reason, UPS tends to smash
heavy stuff.

5.  Take care with the front of the receiver.  You don't want all the weight
born by the knobs.  One method is to place strips of sheet styrofoam between
the knobs.  Then place another sheet of styrofoam in front of that for the
knobs to rest against.  This way the load is largely born by the receiver
faceplate and not the knobs.  I the case of the 51J-4, make use of the rack
handles on the front to bear most of the load against the receiver front.

6.  Clearly mark the box on all sides with the following:  "FRAGILE" & "HEAVY"

7.  That way all manual handlers will know what to expect and won't try to heave
it in an awkward posture only to drop it.

8.  Insure it, but only as a last resort.  Filing claims is a pain and with UPS
and USPS at least, and is very difficult unless the box is basically demolished
upon receipt.  That is an important point.  Insurance claims are filed based on
what they can ascertain happened to the box.  If the box looks good, they
assume they handled it correctly and you packed it poorly.  What happend to
what was inside is irrelevant to them.  They are concerned with the outer box
condition only.

Hope that helps,

Chris