{Collins} Re: Collins 30L-1 Help

Your webpage on this topic says to tune for maximal drive. I can push my Collins 32S-3 exciter beyond the recommended operating output of 230ma plate current and Collins recommends only 200ma when driving the 30L-1 amp.

The only way to tell what is going on SSB is with a real peak envelope reading meter with good storage time, a spectrum analyzer, or a scope (in that order). Here is how it works.

If we only TUNE for maximum output or rated grid current (or any other parameter) at a given drive level, that is the virtual limit of instantaneous peak power we can allow without going into non-linearity.

The reason is speech (and sometimes even a CW envelope) has very short duration peaks. It is those peaks that the amplifier has to handle without nonlinearity.

If we underload or undertune for those peaks two things happen:

1.) The impedance seen by the PA tube will be too high. This means the tube will pull anode voltage down below the limits of the linear area of plate voltage. The PA will become non-linear and not follow the peaks.

2.) With even slightly more drive than the initial non-linear drive, the tube rebounds on the positive anode swing to more than double the anode supply voltage. The abnormal voltage stresses components in the PA, like tuning capacitors and band switches. You can see how high voltage can get here:
http://www.w8ji.com/demonstation.htm

Tuning to xx mA is just fine, so long as we NEVER allow the peak current to go past the same xx mA. We cannot depend on the tuning to limit the power, or we have RF envelope clipping. We have to decrease audio input (or early stage gain).

If you have a REAL peak reading meter with a fairly long storage time (like an Ameritron AWM-30) you can load up to some power level and then watch peaks and never allow the meter to exceed 90% of those peaks. Collins had an excellent idea when comparing drive power to output power, but 30 years ago a true peak reading meter was not practical to build. This means we can't tell if peak linearity is good, we only see the average on our old boatanchors.

With my AWM-30's I can actually see transients from bad relay timing! If I load to 1500 watts PEP, I can see if any peaks no matter how short reach or exceed 1500 watts. It is impossible to do that with average or meters that do not register and hold the real peaks.

73 Tom

With
the 32S-1 at 230-250ma plate current I can then push the 30L-1 to almost 850w on my highly calibrated Powermaster meter. Is tuning to that peak output really healthy for the amp (and the 32S-3) ?? Also, what do you recommend when driving the amp with a higher output rig like most modern solid-state... how do you decide how much drive is too much before turning
to an antennuator before the amp?

Thanks for the great post.

73 Jerry
K1JOS