{Collins} Re: Phono / Connector for Collins Rigs

The electrical properties of the phono plug are not at issue.
Mechanically they are a problem and become more so over time.

Also, it is far too easy to plug the wrong cable into the RF out connector, this could have catastrophic results.

Jim

I don't know why people are so quick to condemn them, they are a better
50 ohm connector than a UHF, they are compact, exhibit low intermods,
and are easy to mate. I think they were also used because the average
ham could easily get mating connectors. Most commercial mobile radio
equipment used them as internal interconnects up through UHF, I just
don't see why people bitch and moan about them, just don't crank on 'em
like a gorilla!

Scott W7SVJ