{Collins} Re: Phono / Connector for Collins Rigs

When I was a kid in the 50/60's EVERYTHING was put together with phono plugs. They were cheap, plentifull, and easy to work with. The second most common connector was the bananna plug.
Gary - AI4JA

Scott Johnson wrote:

I don't know why people are so quick to condemn them, they are a better 50 ohm connector than a UHF, they are compact, exhibit low intermods, and are easy to mate. I think they were also used because the average ham could easily get mating connectors. Most commercial mobile radio equipment used them as internal interconnects up through UHF, I just don't see why people bitch and moan about them, just don't crank on 'em like a gorilla!

Scott W7SVJ

Ian wrote:

Why Collins used these connectors in the first place? I have a theory about that.

My recollection is that my KWM-1 had phono type connectors that mated with the mobile mount automatically. Yes, I had one in a 1957 Chevy.

I suspect that the KWM-2 mobile mount had the same scheme.

Perhaps that’s the original reason they used the phono plug scheme -easy connect and disconnect in mobile use- and it was carried on through the non-mobile units since they worked OK in the M-1 and M-2 and why have to deal with yet another type of connector (BNC perhaps)?

Somebody here who worked for Collins during that era know the REAL reason?

Ian, K6SDE