{Collins} Re: "Abjuer" BUT WAIT ???

Impedance of a line (or connector since it can be viewed as a line section) is determined by the ratio of the diameter of the outer and inner conductors.
Velocity factor, and loss by the dielectric.

But I would agree that the impact of an impedance bump would be made worse by the duration or length of the change.
A long enough physical change could actually show at least two changes in impedance.

As for RCA vs SO-239/PL-259...
A friend of mine, a retired design engineer (and Collins affectionado), once told me that he looked at a "UHF" connector wth a network analyzer.
HORRIBLE.

If you look at how many people install the SO-239, center conductor going straight to the center pin (good).
And the shield bundled and soldered to either a lug attached to one of the mounting screws, or soldered to one spot on the connector body.
ARRRGHHH!
However, installed using the tapered hood behind the connector, with the shield evenly soldered to it. There's a nicer transition of impedances.

Using RG-8 into a PL-259 gives you a decent match, but that bloody UG-175/176 adaptor for RG-58/59 really looks bad.
Once again the change of the ratio of inner and outer diameters.

But nothings perfect, the Type N connector gives you a nice match, but will flash over quicker.
A BNC gives a nice match when it's new. But mechanically, it's not the best.

I have to ask, do we not obsess a bit much?
Below 30 Mc, and at Ham power levels (especially at the exciter power of the KWM-2), how much does it really matter?
At 5.4 KW on 910 KC, my good old Harris MW-5 transmitter exits via a brass 1/4 20 threaded stud, while the outer conductor goes to ground via a copper strap to the chassis.
And in the RF path (phasor and ATU)  there are several J plugs.
Standard Practice, and the rig has run very well into what according to this discussion shouldn't work for the last thirty years.

Robert A. Poff
Chief Engineer
WSBA/WARM-FM/WSOX/WGLD
Cumulus Media Partners
York, PA

Email :
wb3awj@xxxxxxxxxxx
Office : (717) 764-1155
Direct : (717) 478-4005
Fax     : (717) 252-5847

Sailing the Hunter 34 "Loon"

"Lieutenant, target the offending power boat, and launch photon torpedoes"