{Collins} KWM-2 Knob Cleaning Help

Hello all,

I am a newbie to the world of Collins radios.  I have recently acquired a KWM-2 (WE) with a serial number 13368.  The radio passes a first check on functionality, but is definitely in need of cleaning, alignment and tuning.  I am just starting my restoration efforts.  I am not after a museum piece, just a good clean solid working radio.

So on to my first question(s):

I have pulled the knobs off the radio to give the a wash.  I am using warm water with a few drops of dish detergent.  The knobs have been soaking for about 15-20 minutes.  I have noticed a few of them have become gummy and a black layer is coming off with black plastic underneath.  Am a ruining the knobs or is this built up crud that is coming loose?  Is there a coating on the original Collins knobs that I am taking off?

More questions to come I am sure as I walk my way through the radio.

Thanks for the help.

73s & Cheers,
Chuck
de NJ6D