{Collins} 51j-4 or R-388 tuning slug question

Here's a question for the A-line aficionados on the Collins list:

On the 51J-(1,2,3 or 4) and/or R-388, are the (ferrite? iron powder?)
tuning slugs in all those moving-rack-tuned RF coils basically the
same?  I realize the coils themselves are wound differently for
different frequency ranges, but the slugs are all the same length and
diameter and have the same weight (density), which tells me they are
likely all the same.  I notice that the wires that connect the tuning
slugs to the adjusting screws are shorter on the low frequency rack than
on the other racks, but the slugs themselves seem identical.

The reason I ask is that I'm working on a 51J-4 with a broken slug and
my parts chassis has been cleaned out of all the slugs in that frequency
range, but has some others in the next frequency range that look the
same.  Has anyone tried mix-and-match slug replacement on the 51J series
radios before?

Bob K4ERR
.
      http://www.collinsradio.org/html/membership.html    -paypal accepted-