{Collins} Re: Transformers Wanted

Well first,  in this application  not needing a neutral,  only ground,  you
will only need 1 [ one ] xformer .. a .500 would do just fine ,  if I found
a .750  I would get it ,  using the 12/24  or if 16/32  just depends how
much BUCKING you want ,  225-230 vac is ideal for the 30s-1      in this
instance you tie all the H wires in series 1-2-3-4 ... your 248vac power is
applied at H-4 and X-1  presuming your going for the lower in either choice
12/24  or 16/32   [  I have not seen this 9/16 voltage choice  {this to me
would be a unique or more bastard size}   and it does not balance as you can
see the 12/24 16/32 voltages do .. so i'm gonna presume this is not a real
example  your 9/16 ...  so if you want to knock down this 248 to 230  get a
16/32 and use the 16 in parell one end wired at the H-4 connection point...

draw your power for the 30s-1 from the H-4 tie point and the H-1 and X-4
tie point..

in the perfect world you will see 16 less volts at this location than where
your 248 vac input is,  yielding you about a 232 vac source for the 30s-1...
your saturation will be reasonable good,  using a .500,  thus you might see
a small voltage sag on loading or voice peaks at full power ..   where with
the .750  or even 1kva  this saturation point will not be as demanding and
you can see some ride thru of stability ..  { less sag, if any at all }  the
.750  should do this need quite well,  and remember you wont really have a
genuine neutral here, you will have the ability to see a neutral from your
supply source,  but if you use it in conjunction with this buck scheme your
gonna tear up the regulation you are trying to achieve, short answer dont
use the neutral,  just ground it properly,   but you dont need it with the
30s-1  { input neutral }....  even though on the inside it is offered a 115
vac outlet for a 516f-2 if you so mount it on that shelf plate ..    i'm
lazy and tired right now, but I think this voltage is developed within the
main xformer in the 30s-1  but I can be wrong ..

lite fuz and stand back  ...  some go , some blow  ,   [ mac: humor ]
seriously check this voltage along the way with you meter ...  and in
closing,  this schematic is 1 of about 3-4 ways to set this all up..  so
it's not the only way,  but it does work .. and well  ...  then finally be
sure to adjust the filament voltage for the final PA tube ..  this is very
easy in the 30s-1  it has it's own pot as I recall ..

Now the real bug a boo on the 30s-1 is the confusion Collins created by the
wiring for using this on 115 or so voltage ..  this was all in the early
days when it became recognized the importance of Neutral and the difference
of the Ground,  but I am not going their this late / early, simple answer,
run the thing on 230vac like it should be and call it good..  my brain is
pretty spent and i'm gonna hang up my key board ..  73's  mac/mc  w5mc

BTW  these wiring schematics are availible all over the web pages ..  be
sure and check this one i have outlined  ..

Located 46 miles due North of the Alamo, and 121 miles due South of the
Western White House.   see my website at  www.collinsandharrisradios.com