To: <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 7:44 AM
Subject: {Collins} New 32V-3 Owner, LV Rectifier, XFMR, Question

GM, I just acquired a nice 32V-3 transmitter with a blown LV transformer. It's still in the trunk as I work up the strength and back muscles to haul it into the shack :> I've already checked in with Gary Brown about getting the transformer rewound so I have that base covered.

Before I put a new xfmr in, I need to find out why it blew in the first place. The fellow I got the V-3 from said he's heard talk over the years that the 5Z4 LV rectifier tube has been known to short out. Has anyone here heard that?

Has the LV transformer been known to be weak in it's old age or are there any known trouble areas in the LV circuitry? That LV transformer supplies all filament voltages including the HV rectifiers so I know it's possible that it lost HV isolation among other things.

Before I pull the transfomer and ship it off, I'm going to pretend that there is a slight chance the transformer is still good, just smoking.... due to a short on the LV B+ somehwere.. or do I have better chance of getting struck by lightning or winning the lottery?

Thanks for any comments or advice.

Gee the 32V-3 manual sure is pretty with the color front cover. I'll be pairing up the 32V-3 with my 75A-4 and running CW and AM with it.

73, Scott WA9WFA

.
     http://www.collinsradio.org/membership/    -paypal accepted-
.
1st Wednesday AM Net 3.880 MHz-2000 local (ET, CT, MT, PT) .