{Collins} Re: Plug-in relays for Collins Radio, KWM-2 / A.

Collins provided a plug-in-relay upgrade kit.  The early wired-in-place relays suffered from the coil overheating and burning out.  Ham Radio magazine had an article (I think by Bill Orr), that recommended putting a resistor in series with the relay, to reduce current draw.  I did that for a friend and his relays are still working.

The big advantage of the plug in relays was contact cleaning.  Just pop the relay out and clean the contacts on the workbench under the appropriate light (necessary for us old guys).  Cleaning the contacts on the relays in place, is not as much fun.

73,  Colin  K7FM
.
      http://www.collinsradio.org/membership/    -paypal accepted-
.