Re: {Collins} OT: Radio Mart

I'm always shocked and amazed that as bad as his rep is he always seems to get top $$$ for his hype. I bought one item early on, a crystal calibrator for a radio---one with a copper coated chassis Was then I learned how good a copper item can look when photgraphed with a red background I paid market price for the item as I really wanted one for the radio I was working on. Calibrator did work, just didn't look anything like the picture. Close scrutiny of the photo did prove it to be the same item, just didn't look as good in the flesh. He also sniped me on a S-line that had been in a dusty closet for about 30 years, some crystals were missing, the SN was legible. Two weeks later it was on auction (same sn, same missing crystals) after a quickie wash and all the usual hype and bs that are his ads and sold for about twice what he paid. Pretty much did it for me. I stay away. Don't even consider anything he has because I know it isn't going to be any bargain. One way or other
Paul K0UYA

----- Original Message ----- From: "W2DAP" <w2dap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 08, 2010 10:28 AM
Subject: Re: {Collins} OT: Radio Mart

I personally have always looked upon the RadioMart listings as a source of amusement; never took him seriously. Statements like "One owner from new" and "I bought it from his widow because sadly he died" are always good to pick up your day. "I have had this for two weeks now but need to make room etc." always provide a good laugh.

As to details of his selling practices I cannot comment because I have neither purchased nor sold through him. His poor spelling and use of the language are legendary, however.

It is an interesting way to make a living, that's for sure.

Dick

W2DAP
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kurt Keller" <kkeller1@xxxxxxxxxxx>