Re: {Collins} noisy pots

In Motorola Area IV there was no caution not to use WD-40!  At least in the 1970 to 1979 period.  Also, when I established the first Motorola owned portable and repair facility away from the Schamburg plant at the Area V office (then in Forest Park) there was no caution not to use WD-40.  This was in April 1966.

When I was with Collins Radio (at the "new" corporate headquarters here in Richardson, Texas) I was basically in management and therefore was not involved with line procedures.  However, I know that there were a lot of local Collins employees who were amateur radio operators who did use WD-40 to clean switches, potentiometers, relays, etc. on their Collins equipment.

However, one should NEVER use any cleaning solvents when the unit is operating.  Also, you need to allow a few minutes for any solvent to evaporate before applying power.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com