From: collins-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:collins-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Heinz Breuer
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:57 AM
To: Wn9ddv@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: Collins
Subject: Re: {Collins} noisy pots

I don't know what you mean, we certainly have the 3-wire system at least
with most of our gear. There are certain units called Schutzklasse II
housed in a fully isolated cabinet which have the flat two wire "Europa
Stecker". Most of these are small appliances like electrical razors or a
fan.

vy 73 de Heinz DH2FA, KM5VT

Wn9ddv@xxxxxxxxx schrieb:
> I note that the 220 volt prongs in Europe do not have the three wire
ground system.  Why should our 115 volt line cords have it if the 220 volt
does not?  Are we smarter than the Europeans?

> C. Richard Pumphrey
>
> On Feb 11, 2010, at 12:16 AM, Roy Morgan <k1lky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> On Feb 10, 2010, at 9:57 PM, Richard W. Solomon wrote:
>
> ... I suggest you look into De-Oxit.
>
> If you do look into De-Oxit, and  you search the Caig.com website enough,
you will find the recommendation that De-Oxit NOT be used on moving contacts
such as volume controls and faders*. Caig makes a product specifically
formulated for moving contact controls that was called Caig Moving Contact
Lubricant  (MCL) and is now called FaderLube.  See www.caig.com for more
information.

> I did not do my typical search for quotes and web URL's to guide folks
directly to the authentic information. I've lost my patience for that, for
this topic at least.

> HEY, Fellas!  Dead Horse Number 73.. WHACK, WHACK, WHACK!
>
> *Volume controls of the sort made by the Daven company are a different
story: they are a network of fixed resistors and the mechanism is a wiping
contact on metal contact points.  (Note: These Daven pots are now obsolete
and of little use in our hobby. Send them all to me.)

> <Soap Box Mode ON>
>
> Morgan's Summary on WD-40:
>
> - WD-40 is mostly kerosene and light oil
> - Got an old tractor like my 1951 McCormick? Use WD-40 on it.
> - Got a radio of any age or sort?  Don't use WD-40.
> - De-Oxit is for metal contact switches and the like. Use it SPARINGLY on
your switches.
> - Caig Pro-Gold is for precious metal switches such as in HP test
equipment.
> - Caig FaderLube is for moving contact carbon film controls such as volume
controls

> What do to if you want your wife to become a widow:
>
> - Got a two prong fused line cord plug?   Use the plug.
>
> - Got lots of radios with two wire line cords? Throw out all those unused
three wire computer cords and don't use them.. use the original two wire
cords.

> How to apply 155 volts line current to you old radio meant for 115 volts:
> - use a variac meant for 115 volt line and set up for over voltage
operation and accidentally set it full up.