Re: {Collins} noisy pots

I have seen the 110 to 220 voltage converters.  They have the two prong system.  I also hvae seen the surge protector strips for 220.  They have the two prong system I think.

C. Richard Pumphrey wn9ddv

--- On Thu, 2/11/10, dgsvetan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <dgsvetan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: dgsvetan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <dgsvetan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: {Collins} noisy pots
To: hbreuer@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Collins" <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, February 11, 2010, 11:09 AM

Note that the symbol to which Heinz refers is the same as the North
American symbol (box-in-box) for "double-insulated".  Thus, no safety
ground wire required.  Over here, that is common for many line-powered
tools, appliances, computer wall warts, etc.  Most devices that are
supplied with 3-wire line cords are not double-insulated and are required
to have the safety ground lead in the power cord.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

Heinz Breuer <hbreuer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: collins-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
02/11/2010 09:06 AM
Please respond to
hbreuer@xxxxxxxxxxx

cc
Collins <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
Re: {Collins} noisy pots

Small appliances according to Schutzklasse II have a symbol which shows
a square in a square.
<
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/thumb/e/ed/SymbolSchutzklasseII.png/100px-SymbolSchutzklasseII.png

Code regulations VDE 0100 has more of this stuff than you ever want to
know.

vy 73 Heinz DH2FA, KM5VT

Heinz Breuer schrieb:
> [...]

>> C. Richard Pumphrey
>>
>> On Feb 11, 2010, at 12:16 AM, Roy Morgan <k1lky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> On Feb 10, 2010, at 9:57 PM, Richard W. Solomon wrote:
>>
>> ... I suggest you look into De-Oxit.
>>
>> If you do look into De-Oxit, and  you search the Caig.com website
>> enough, you will find the recommendation that De-Oxit NOT be used on
>> moving contacts such as volume controls and faders*. Caig makes a
>> product specifically formulated for moving contact controls that was
>> called Caig Moving Contact Lubricant  (MCL) and is now called
>> FaderLube.  See www.caig.com for more information.
>>
>> I did not do my typical search for quotes and web URL's to guide folks
>> directly to the authentic information. I've lost my patience for that,
>> for this topic at least.
>>
>> HEY, Fellas!  Dead Horse Number 73.. WHACK, WHACK, WHACK!
>>
>> *Volume controls of the sort made by the Daven company are a different
>> story: they are a network of fixed resistors and the mechanism is a
>> wiping contact on metal contact points.  (Note: These Daven pots are
>> now obsolete and of little use in our hobby. Send them all to me.)
>>

>> <Soap Box Mode ON>
>>
>> Morgan's Summary on WD-40:
>>
>> - WD-40 is mostly kerosene and light oil
>> - Got an old tractor like my 1951 McCormick? Use WD-40 on it.
>> - Got a radio of any age or sort?  Don't use WD-40.
>> - De-Oxit is for metal contact switches and the like. Use it SPARINGLY
>> on your switches.
>> - Caig Pro-Gold is for precious metal switches such as in HP test
>> equipment.
>> - Caig FaderLube is for moving contact carbon film controls such as
>> volume controls
>>

>> What do to if you want your wife to become a widow:
>>
>> - Got a two prong fused line cord plug?   Use the plug.
>>
>> - Got lots of radios with two wire line cords? Throw out all those
>> unused three wire computer cords and don't use them.. use the original
>> two wire cords.
>>

>> How to apply 155 volts line current to you old radio meant for 115
volts:
>> - use a variac meant for 115 volt line and set up for over voltage
>> operation and accidentally set it full up.
>>

>> How to blow up an electrolytic like forth of July or fry the power
>> transformer:
>> - Bring it up slowly on a variac
>>
>> <Soap Box Mode OFF>
>>
>> BAH Humbug!  I'm gonna go feed the horses and sheep.
>>
>> Roy
>>
>> Roy Morgan
>> k1lky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> 529 Cobb St.
>> Groton NY, 13073
>> Home: 607-898-3607
>> Cell: 301-928-7794

>> This ONLY goes to the list admins and does not post to the group!

>> SHARE THE FUN: JOIN THE COLLINS COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION TODAY !
>> http://www.collinsradio.org/membership/
>>
>>  NETS: Tues & Thur: 3.805 MHz-2000 Central + Fri: 3.895 MHz-2000
Pacific