{Collins} Fwd: noisy pots

From: Roy Morgan <k1lky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: February 12, 2010 12:02:34 AM EST
To: "Wn9ddv@xxxxxxxxx" <wn9ddv@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: {Collins} noisy pots

On Feb 11, 2010, at 9:13 AM, Wn9ddv@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

II note that the 220 volt prongs in Europe do not have the three wire ground system. Why should our 115 volt line cords have it if the 220 volt does not? Are we smarter than the Europeans?

Hi,

I'm not familiar with electrical systems outside the US. But I have two suggestions as to why this is:

- I think I have seen safety ground connections in the shell of some overseas power cords - can't be sure though.

- I believe that in some (many?) countries that use 220 volts, *neither* side of the 220 volt line is actually grounded, nor is the "center". In the US, one side of the 120 volt and the "center" of the 220 volt lines are attached to the ground at the service entrance. The result is that if you contact the hot line and any ground (for instance a bathtub or wet floor) you get a shock. This does not happen with the floating service used in Europe.

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
529 Cobb St.