Re: {Collins} FM and Collins

Concerning FM and Collins:  During the late 1960s Art Collins' "pet project" was CCS Marine, a.k.a. "the boat".  When I left Collins Radio in 1969 this was still an "on going" project.  The idea was that the ship could be computer controlled without any need for human guidance to anywhere on the globe.  Supposedly, the "trial run" was to be from Newport Beach, through the Panama Canal, and then up to New York City without any human "touching" the helm.  This was long before GPS.  The bridge of "the boat" was to be constructed here in Richardson, Texas, at the "new" corporate headquarters, and then shipped to Newport Beach, California, to be mated with the rest of the craft.  When Rockwell bought Collins this project was abandoned.

One thing was that Collins Radio did not have any Collins equipment that were "type accepted" for VHF Marine communications.  Although I suspect that Art "gritted his teeth", Collins Radio bought 2 Motorola 12 frequency "Maritime Motran" radios to use in "the boat".  During the 1970s (from 1970 until Motorola went out of that "end" of the business in 1979) I owned the Motorola reconditioned equipment center for the south-central United States.  My operation was actually in Plano, Texas, but the Richardson city limits was literally 10 feet from the back door of the building.

One day a Rockwell Collins van appeared with 2 unopened Motorola boxes.  Inside were the 2 "Maritime Motran" radios that had been purchased for "the boat".  Rockwell had "made a deal" with Motorola to return these radios.  Instead of putting those radios in "stock" we shipped both units back to the Motorola plant in Schamburg, Illinois.  As such, I have no ideas as to the "fate" of these radios.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com