Re: {Collins} 32s-1 Front Panel Glue

At 06:39 PM 7/6/2010 -0700, k7fm wrote:
>Pliobond is still available at any useful hardware store.  It is known as 
>"industrial contact cement".  Assembly is normally delayed until the parts 
>are tacky, then joined.
>The leather (or synthetic leather) on cameras are "glued" on with contact 
>cement so it can be removed for repair.  In the event you may want to remove 
>the front panel of the Collins for any reason, contact cement will allow 
>The components of Pliobond are listed on the can.  They are: calcium 
>carbonate, MEK and "contents partially unknown".  This last ingredient 
>describes my wife, too.
>73,  Colin  K7FM 
> NETS: Tues & Thur: 3.805 MHz-2000 Central + Fri: 3.895 MHz-2000 Pacific
>  SUNDAYS: 14.263 MHz-2000 UTC  +  AM Net: 29.050 MHz-1200 Central
>  1st Wednesday AM Net 3.880 MHz-2000 local (ET, CT, MT, PT)
>LIST HELP?  ADMIN EMAIL:  collins-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>This ONLY goes to the list admins and does not post to the group!

Hi Folks!,
          Gee, there has been many replies on the sticky stuff CACD used to
glue their front panels on, and other stuff.. OK. Please don't flame me if
I'm wrong, but I will offer another source.. First of all, something I am
pretty sure of, as I have replaced many dial inserts courtesy of the great
repros from K3ICH, I know enough just by the looks, smell, and taste (yes I
did!) what this brown gook is.. Back in the late 70s, I bought a lot of 5
Collins 51S-1s, Demilled, that appeared to have the same exact stuff on the
front panel(s) that the dial inserts were glued with.. I cannot say for
sure if they used the same stuff on the "S" line stuff, but I am near
absolutely sure the dial inserts (99.5%) and the front panels (96.5%) for
the 51S-1s used this... OK, my 2cts says its 3M 847 adhesive (Minnesota
Mining Company) rubber sealant.. And this can be ordered online for a price
even a Collins Guy can afford, if you buy it by the tube.. The reason I
know this is, as a 16 year old kid, I worked at a Harley Davidson
dealership here in Cleveland, OH for 11 years before I worked in the
aerospace industry.. We used this same goop, in lieu of a gasket, to seal
the crankcase halves (without a gasket) when we assembeled an engine.. Look
folks, there is no wrong way to glue something (well maybe a few :) ) But,
3M 847 I'm pretty sure of, is what your looking for.. I have used it for
many years in Collins repair jobs.. I guess this may sound hokey, but, no
less than going to an aircraft parts depot to buy a dessicant (er.
sparkplug thinge) for a 70E-8 32V PTO.... Best Regards! Tony, WB8MLA  too
many years of running Collins stuff, I think!!  

This archive was generated by a fusion of Pipermail (Mailman edition) and MHonArc.