To: <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:10 AM
Subject: Re: {Collins} 51S-I S-meter operation - faulty??

In the case of the S-line receivers they say in the manual to reduce the RF gain so that the S meter just kicks up a few units above the upscale resting level when the gain is backed off. That way it is still giving an accurate reading on peaks , but that RF gain position is maximizing the signal to noise ratio with the least distortion . Of course if there are weaker signals in a roundtable QSO you are listening to, you may be able to hear them OK, but will have to increase the RF gain a bit for the same slight kicking movement to give them an accurate signal report. No question if you were to leave the gain wide open for the benefit of not having to adjust for S meter readings you will get distortion on signals the are close to the top of the scale (40 over 9, etc), but not much of a problem when they are below S-9.

-Bob WA1KPA