Re: {Collins} KWM380 SPARES

In the  late 1980s and early 1990s I owned a pair of KWM 380s and learned that
the final transistors in the KWM 380  was a house number for a transistor
manufactured by Motorola. It was a super secret at that time. I began digging
for the secret being kept by Rockwell about the manufacture and the Motorola
number for the final transistors in the KWM 380 and FINALLY, I learned from a
Collins employee what it was. He did not tell me that the final transistors in
the KWM 380 positively and absolutely such and such a number the SAME
transistor, but he told me quietly, tongue in cheek, "that if I replaced them
with  Motorola MRF 421 C transistors, I would not have a problem,"  THAT
information is the best according to my 73 year old memory!!

I did not have a problem, just as he said. I sold the transceivers because
Rockwell discontinued support, service and parts for the KWM 380. In addition,
my son, N5ASM, an engineer, was flying all over the world and had little time to
maintain the KWM 380s. In addition, I felt since they were orphans that I had
better unload them while the price was still good. That was a miscall on my part
but you know what they say about hindsight. I sold one to a Japanese ham who
worked for AIWA electronics in Japan and another to a ham who lived in some
Arizona valley who was famous for collecting KWM 380s and working on them.

I kinda wish I still had one to sit beside my KWM2, 30S1, 75A1, 75A2 and 75A4.
Of course I am still looking for a deal on a 75A#3 and maybe a 32V1,2,or 3
transmitter.

I hope I haven't given out any inaccurate information. 73, John, K5PGW