From: "Glen Zook" <gzook@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2011 4:08 PM
To: <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "jim" <jonesjames@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: {Collins} Serial # Range - 75S-3B SB1?

Well, I never heard Art Collins say that himself. But, I also never asked him! The late Joe Johnson, W5QBM, was pretty "high up" in the Collins sales organization and he swore that the numbers were scrambled on Art's orders. If I remember correctly, the late Dave Medley, also "high up" in the sales organizations, also said that the serial numbers were scrambled.

The first time I met Art Collins was within the first week that I was employed by Collins Radio (right out of Georgia Tech) at the "new" corporate headquarters here in Richardson, Texas, in April of 1967. Eric Tedley's industrial design group was part of Process Division (where I worked) and he was presenting the suggested cabinet designs for the KWM-3 (basically a 718T with coverage expanded down to 1800 kHz). One of the assistant division directors invited me to go to the unveiling. I got to know Art better after I left the company and he sold out to Rockwell International. Of course, the KWM-3 project was dropped.

Art had some "strange" ideas on the S-Line. For example, he forbid any 75S-1 or 75S-2 being shipped with the 500 Hz mechanical CW filter installed. The person who purchased the receiver had to either buy the field add-on kit (filter and matching BFO crystal) and install it him/herself or send it back to the factory or factory authorized service center to have the filter installed. I have a 75S-1 that cost an employee his job. He got the receiver through the employee purchase program and since he "knew" someone at the Iowa factory, he got the filter installed when the receiver was built. A couple of weeks after the receiver was received Art "found out" about the filter and called the employee "on the carpet". Basically, instead of facing Art the employee immediately quit his job and sold the receiver to another amateur radio operator.

The operator who bought the receiver had another 75S-1 receiver and put this receiver in his garage where it sat for over 40 years. The new owner then traded it to another operator who immediately traded it to me. When I checked out the receiver I discovered that it did have the CW filter. The person that traded it to me did not know that it had the filter and inquired of the person from whom he got the receiver. That is when the full story was known.

Basically, the receiver had been used for about 2-weeks before it was stored in a Dallas, Texas, area garage. Then, over 40 years later, I obtained the almost brand new 75S-1!

Then, with the 75S-3 and 75S-3A, Art dictated that all the receivers be shipped with a 200 Hz CW filter! This changed with the 75S-3B and 75S-3C when the filter was an expensive option! Who knows what Art was thinking!

Art was continuously dictating modifications be made on equipment that were in production and, often before the modified unit made it "out the door", he would order even more modifications. As such, equipment just was not being shipped and therefore payment was not received. The result was that every division had an "Art project" which was not really intended to ship anything but was intended to keep Art's attention so that real projects could get units shipped and therefore income to the company.

In either 1967 or early 1968, the Wall Street Journal had an article on Collins Radio in which they bluntly stated that "Collins Radio survives in spite of Art Collins and not because of Art Collins". Needless to say, the Wall Street Journal was not popular around Collins Radio for some time.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com