Re: {Collins} Serial # Range - 75S-3B SB1?

Jim

Pretty good up until the last paragraph. Arthur spent most of his time in
Richardson from 1966-67 on. I believe Mary and the boys moved around 68.
Their home was just off Alpha Road between Hillcrest and Preston Roads in
North Dallas. They also spent about a third of the year at the Newport Bay
Club apartment in Newport Harbor where the Peregrin was tied up. Building
401 in Richardson was the corporate headquarters in those last years and in
fact he had to fly back to Cedar Rapids for the December 71 Board meeting.
The man who ran the company out of 407 the last few years was Bill Roodhouse
EVP. Mr. Collins during this period was totally immersed in the C System
Design which unfortunately was about 40 years ahead of the market.
It is true however that most of the equipment design with the exception of
microwave remained in CID. Building 412 and 402 in Richardson as well as a
couple of rented buildings around town were used by system engineering.
Please note that with TACAMO Flying Command Post and Civilian Agency
Projects system engineering was a major revenue producer in this period. The
TACAMO Aircraft AF1 and EC131 fleet were maintained electronically in the
Collins hangers at Addison airport. It was always fun to watch the TACAMO
vlf testing into a dummy load immersed in 55 gallons of oil on the runway
there.
I along with many engineers would spend weeks each year in Richardson
meeting with Mr. Collins and other Senior VPs in the Green Room in the
Rayflex building. Dr. Bert Henry who led the C-System Software effort in
fact occupied two floors of the Richardson National Bank building on North
Central Expressway. I was transferred to Richardson in 1974 by Rockwell
management along with many other computer engineers. After the takeover by
Rockwell in 1972 Mr. Collins set up shop in his home in North Dallas. His
consulting company operating out of this home for several years. This home
was very interesting in that he had imported limestone to construct it from
Stone City IA the home of Grant Wood. He retained his home in IA but I do
not believe he spent much time there after 1972. I suspect there were too
many good memories there marred by the bad memory of the takeover.

73

Clarence G. Marshall
12701 South Harvard Ave.
Jenks, OK 74037