Re: {Collins} Serial # Range - 75S-3B SB1?

Building 407 here in Richardson was called "corporate headquarters" when I was employed by Collins starting in 1967.  It was also called "Camelot" for "King Arthur's palace"!  For a number of years Building 407 was the tallest structure in Richardson.  Of course, nowadays, you can't even see it from Collins Blvd!

Since Art moved to Dallas, and moved his main office to Richardson, the "brains" of the company was definitely in Texas.  Almost every day there were executives flying into Addison Airport from Cedar Rapids and Newport Beach, occasionally Toronto.  The corporate aircraft made 2 trips daily between Cedar Rapids and Addison and 2 per week from Newport Beach.   International sales and civil aviation sales were definitely moved to Dallas.

Again, according to the sales persons that I knew, the serial numbers were scrambled.  However, if, or not, they were "scrambled" that was 50 years ago. Both of the people who told me this are dead and there is no way that their information can be verified.  But, I knew both of them very well and I have no reason at all to even doubt their word.

As for the divisions having an "Art project", that was definitely true.  The "Art project" for the Process Division was "CCCS Marine", a.k.a. "the boat".  However, there were very little charges made to the EP.  An edict came down from Harry Passman to close every EP to which no charges had been made within a year and my secretary was the person chosen to close the EPs.  When it became known that "CCCS Marine" was no longer a valid EP the "you know what hit the fan".  Since my secretary was only following orders, she did not get in any trouble.  It would have been much easier just to open a new EP but Art did not want to "learn" a new number.  So, the old EP was reopened.

Art was a brilliant engineer and designer.  However, like many engineers, he was not that good a businessman.  Fortunately, he did have some very talented managers who brought the company good fortune.

An example of one of Art's misguided directions was when they were having problems in the CCCS buildings, 406 and 408.  Basically, the temperature kept going above the desired range and to try to keep the temperatures down in those buildings he ordered the chilled water to be diverted from Building 402 (where the chillers were located) and from Building 401.  Basically, this cut off the air conditioning to those buildings.  Unfortunately, this was during July and August and in Texas this means days of over 100 degrees!  Working conditions in 402 and 401 were unbearable.  My office was on the 2nd floor of 402!

Art Collins was a pioneer in the radio communications arena.  Collins Radio Company produced some of the finest radio communications equipment around (amateur, commercial, and military).  However, Art had his faults and in some ways these did hamper the company.  I only met him a few times during the period I worked for the company.  After he sold out to Rockwell International I did get to know him a little better.  I definitely respect his contributions to electronics.  But, I also recognize his faults.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com