Re: {Collins} S-Line Question for Collins Historians

----- Original Message ----- From: "W3YY" <w3yy@xxxxxxx>
To: <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 4:41 PM
Subject: {Collins} S-Line Question for Collins Historians

Who can we thank for the physical design of the S-Line? Since it's introduction, I've found it to be the most attractive and inviting piece of amateur radio equipment I've ever seen. Who had the brains and guts to make such a paradigm switch to this package from the old big black boxes? Obviously, Art Collins must have approved, but was it originally his idea or
that of someone else?

73, Bob - W3YY

I did a search for design patents issued to Collins Radio Company and got only four hits. One was the panel for the 51J series No.D168,214. Others were for a late 1930's broadcasting speech input console, a aircraft course indicator, and a _wingless airplane_! I wonder what that was all about. I am sure Collins must have had many other design patents but somehow Google patents isn't finding them. I've had this experience with Google before. There is some magic wording for the search which will turn up more stuff but I can't figure it out right now.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles