Re: {Collins} S-Line Question for Collins Historians

All,

While I do not have any real info to add to this subject, I do want to add that when I was in high school (graduated on 1960), and becoming very interested in electronics and radio, I discovered the S-line equipment (1959). I fell in love, so to speak. It was absolutely gorgeous. I wanted some, but had no way to afford it.

A few years ago (remember that I'm 68 now), my oldest son get killed on a motorcycle accident and the funds from that provided me the opportunely to FINALLY get some S-line equipment. Now I am happy. I am very thankful for all you out there that have provided extremely helpful info in using and operating my station.

I look forward each weekend to the CCA 20 meter net. Since I work second shift during the week I can't join the 80 meter nets but someday I'll retire then I can enjoy that time too.

So, bottom line, I am VERY happy with my S-line Station and even though I do not know who actually designed the S-Line, I wish to thank them.

Walt Cheatham K7CCA

Glen Zook wrote:

When the S-Line was housed in one of the "fancy" consoles that Collins pictured in a number of advertisements, I don't think that there would be many, if any, objections to the equipment being in a family room, living room, etc.

However, for a while, I owned one of the consoles that was pictured in a few of the advertisements.  Frankly, except for VERY casual operating, the placement of the equipment was a long way from optimum and operating for any extended amount of time was very tiring.

The console that I owned had openings for the transmitter and receiver plus a smaller item, like a station control, on the lower level and openings for 2 smaller items plus a 30L-1 linear on the upper level.  On the lower level the smaller item was in the center and on the upper level the larger item was in the center.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com