To: <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2011 12:37
Subject: Re: {Collins} S-Line Question for Collins Historians

I have to agree with you, Bob. Aside from the S/Line's technical merits, it's always been one of my favorite designs, visually. I don't know who was responsible either, but it set the tone for many rigs that followed the trend to a smaller sizes.

In fact, it's interesting to take a look at the Collins ads from the early 1960s because some of them emphasized the S/Line's visual aesthetics (check them out on WA3KEY's site here: http://www.wa3key.com/crads.html). My favorite is the one originally published in February 1962 QST showing a smiling, approving XYL, apparently thrilled that days of the big, heavy, black boxes were over (http://www.wa3key.com/qst/qst6202.jpg). The S/Line is "stylish and blends with the decor of any room," says the ad. I'm dubious, however, about how many XYLs actually allowed the ham shack to be set up in the family room (unless, of course, they too were hams).

73,
Chris, W2PA