Re: {Collins} S-Line styling Question for Collins Historians

The book does not mention a single person in this group responsible for the updated stying of the S line so it was most likely a "team effort."

Same with Ben Stearns' book, "Arthur Collins, Radio Wizard." Senti is described as the primary designer of the KWM-1, but no single person is mentioned as "the" designer of the S/Line.

Collins showed accelerated technological growth in the decade between 1948 and 1958. Arguably, the Collins amateur radio product line ended in 1958. True, the S/Line evolved during the next decade but according to Stearns, even Collins himself recognized that his company was "coasting along" in amateur radio development. Unfortunately, this admission occurred roughly at the time Collins' financial structure began imploding in 1970. A "perfect storm" of events had occurred, resulting in Collins' loss of control, and subsequently, abandonment of the amateur product line until 1979 when Rockwell produced the HF/KWM-380.

I was born at roughly the time the S/Line was produced so I can only imagine the impact it must have had on the ham community at the time of its release. I have not yet "lived the moment" with an S/Line. Over the years, I've decided to save the experience until ready. I'm getting quite close and hopefully, I'll soon have an S/Line of my own.

Paul, W9AC

The
new rigs orginally had plain gray face plates but Art wanted something more luxourious and rich looking. He brought in his Leica (some know it as a Hasselblad) camera and had the model shop etch the leather grain pattern of the camera onto a thin aluminum sheet for the faceplates of the engineering models of the rigs. What a brilliant idea. To me, along with the rounded compact enclosures, this really sets off the S line gear. The compactness of S lines when introduced in 1958 can also be attributed to the compact enclosure of the KWM-1. In short, the whole process was just a matter of evolution. Jay's book is a joy to read and has many, many excellent pictures with some really good close-ups of various Collins equipment. I think the book is now out of print but if you can latch onto one, by all means do so.

73 to all

Don  K8KSM  AC08-12219
Columbus Ohio

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Codella, W2PA" <w2pa@xxxxxxxx>