I also agree about the line bypass caps.

73
Bob

On 6/28/2011 1:40 PM, Jim Garland wrote:
I don't think it matters much which side of the switch the transient
suppressor is connected to, so long as it is after the fuse, though I prefer
placing it before the switch. The reason is that if the suppressor should
short out, it would be better if the short circuit current wasn't routed
through the switch. You might also place a suppressor across the switch
itself, to protect it from the  inductive kick of the xfmr when the power
supply is switched off.

The .01/1KV bypass caps should be replaced with modern AC line-rated caps.
These are normally specified as  "Class X1 Y2 250VAC"; an example is Mouser
part number   81-DE2F3KH103MN7A, which sell for $0.62/each.

73,
Jim W8ZR

-----Original Message-----
From: kc9cdt@xxxxxxx [mailto:kc9cdt@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:11 AM
To: collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: {Collins} 516-f2 questions

Hi everyone...
I am finishing up a 516-F2 rebuild and want to add a transient
surpressor.
The instrunctions I have (very old) say to add the surpressor acreoss
the trans primary...which is fine, but, their diagram shows it across
the 115vac primary all the time ...
I am thinking it should be after the power switch so when it is plugged
in but off the surpressor has no voltage on it.
What is the best way??

Also, this supply already has .01 1KV ceramic safety caps on each side
of the power line to ground...should I leave them in as well??
Thanks,
73,
Lee, KC9CDT

Lee Simmonds
Summit DCS LLC

260-799-4077 Office
260-403-6936 Cell

http://www.collinsradio.org/membership/

  NETS: Tues&  Thur: 3.805 MHz-2000 Central + Fri: 3.895 MHz-2000 Pacific