From: Robert Thomas [mailto:ve3tou@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 6:57 PM
To: Jim Garland
Cc: kc9cdt@xxxxxxx; collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: {Collins} 516-f2 questions

I don't think I'd put a transient suppressor across the switch; if it leaks
or shorts, there'll be some voltage applied to the transformer primary with
the switch off. Anyway, a  suppressor across the transformer will work about
as well for reducing inductive kicks across the switch (although it can
damage the switch if it shorts). In any case, I agree the suppressor (and
everything else) should be after the fuse.

I also agree about the line bypass caps.

73
Bob

On 6/28/2011 1:40 PM, Jim Garland wrote:
> I don't think it matters much which side of the switch the transient
> suppressor is connected to, so long as it is after the fuse, though I
> prefer placing it before the switch. The reason is that if the
> suppressor should short out, it would be better if the short circuit
> current wasn't routed through the switch. You might also place a
> suppressor across the switch itself, to protect it from the  inductive
> kick of the xfmr when the power supply is switched off.
>
> The .01/1KV bypass caps should be replaced with modern AC line-rated caps.
> These are normally specified as  "Class X1 Y2 250VAC"; an example is
Mouser
> part number   81-DE2F3KH103MN7A, which sell for $0.62/each.
>
> 73,
> Jim W8ZR

-----
No virus found in this message.