Re: {Collins} 32V-3 5V4 Transformer Killer?

You might want to make note of Glen's info. Good stuff. Over the years I have bought three HT-32's and an HT-37 at hamfests really cheap (like $20 cheap) because they supposedly had "bad power transformers". On all of them I totally disconnected the filament windings from the rectifier sockets, solid-stated them, and -voila- the transformers worked. I had high voltage and no blown fuses.

73, Ernie, k0occ

--- Original Message -----
From: "Glen Zook" <gzook@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "John Painter" <johnpainter@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Colin Lamb" <k7fm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Mack McCormick" <w4ax.mack@xxxxxxxxx>, "Collins" <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Greg Mijal" <bluebirdtele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2011 11:27:51 AM
Subject: Re: {Collins} 32V-3 5V4 Transformer Killer?

The problem that I have run into with the Collins 32V- series transmitter transformers is actually a short between the 5.0 volt windings and other windings. This seems to be caused by an insulation failure caused by the fact that the rectified B+ is on these windings. To prevent this failure, and, in a few cases to effectively "save" the transformer after an insulation failure, is to completely disconnect this winding and use solid-state rectifiers.

There is the same problem with certain other manufacturers' equipment including the Hallicrafters HT-32 series and the HT-37.

Now I don't normally recommend replacing the tube rectifiers with solid-state. However, in the case of the 32V- series and the Hallicrafters transmitters, the fact that the transformer can be "saved" by going to solid-state definitely overrides the desire to keep the unit "original".

Also, I have not run into any problems with "inrush" current caused by the fact that there is no "warm up" time with the solid-state rectifiers. There are numerous situations with tube type equipment that originally came with solid-state rectifiers and those units do not have any problems including units that originally had tube type rectifiers and were changed in mid production to solid-state rectifiers. Of course, there are those who are going to disagree with this. But, again in my several decades experience of working on "boat anchor" equipment, I have not had any problems with going solid-state when the situation is a choice between losing a transformer and keeping the transformer.

Again, I don't recommend changing to solid-state rectifiers just to change them. But, I do recommend changing to solid-state rectifiers when making the change helps prolong the life of the equipment.

Glen, K9STH

Website: http://k9sth.com