From: Dave Harmon [mailto:k6xyz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2011 6:41 PM
To: 'BRIAN ROBERTS'; 'Collins Reflector'
Subject: [Bulk] Re: {Collins} [Bulk] 30L1 Follow Up

Hi Brian.....hopefully I can clear up some of this for you.

1. The relay winding is in parallel with R12 and in series with the ground
from the 32S-3.
I didn't calculate the voltage across the relay but it is probably ok for
this application.

2. probably because you didn't ground the relay jack.
The bias voltage (-160) on the tube grids keeps the tubes cut off when on
receive.
When you go to transmit, the ground on the relay jack simultaneously shunts
the bias voltage through R12 and R28 and operates the antenna changeover
relay at the same time. This will allow the tubes to conduct and with no rf
input the meter should read about 100ma.
If the relay winding is open, you can ground the relay jack and manually
operate the relay at the same time.
You should see 100ma idle current on the meter.
Or....you can remove power from the unit and measure the resistance across
the relay. If you see 2K....the relay winding is open.
If you see about 4K the relay winding is good.
Check the relay armature to ensure that it is not mechanically jammed.

3. Yes. See above.

4. Other than a parts rig, not that I know of.

Dave Harmon
CCA 97-535
K6XYZ[at]sbcglobal[dot]net
Sperry, Ok.