Re: {Collins} paint touchup

The shim guard sounds remarkably like a draftsman's erasing shield. It's used for selectively erasing mistakes in pencil drawings, and has an assortment of holes. Probably still available from art supply stores -- although I haven't seen one in years.

73
Bob

On 12/3/2012 1:48 AM, William Yates wrote:
>From my experience...
The nice thing about paint, is you can build up coats or fill spots to rise above the level of the dent or chip.
If done properly, it can be made to look un noticeable when fixing minor damage as mentioned.
One technique worth considering is using a thin shim guard, lack of a better term. It's a paper thin sheet
of stainless with a cutout or hole that matches the size of the area you want to repair.
When the paint has cured and shrunk to it's final thickness, you tape the guard onto the surface area surrounding
your paint fill area.
You can then feather sand the paint down to nearly the same grade as the rest of the finish.
Remove the guard and wet sand the area starting with 800 grit and work your way up to 1600.
You then buff it out using non silicone based polish. Jewelers rouge is excellent if using a buffing wheel,
but if not, do it by hand using a professional rubbing compound of about 2200 grit. Follow this with paint wax.
Carnuba works great and helps to protect the paint.
The key in all of this is proper preparation of the surface to allow your repair to adhere well.
Letting the paint cure is essential. I would wait at least a week or more depending on humidity and WX.
Keep in mind, that even small repairs are affected by temperature and humidity and will ALWAYS
influence the outcome of your repair. You can bank on that.
The paint I purchased from Surplus Sales of Nebraska turned out to be of excellent quality. My last two
jobs ended up being stellar. Just my two cents.
73 de Billy N6YW

From: gahart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: doug@xxxxxxxxxxxx; collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 23:02:19 -0700
Subject: Re: {Collins} paint touchup

Order a small can of Collins paint from Nebraska Surplus Sales (they sell
all the common Collins colors).  The paint is from the original Collins
source in Iowa and is an excellent match.  You can lightly daub it on your
minor blemishes with a small brush or sponge dauber (with 1/16" or smaller
pad) readily available at good hobby shops for detail model work.  This is a
fast drying paint, but if done carefully, you will never see the touch-up.

Gaylord
WB7ODD